Welcome to the Department of Sport and Recreation
The Northern Territory Department of Sport and Recreation’s vision is “Territorians having a lifelong involvement in sport and active recreation”.
To achieve this vision, we facilitate the development of a vibrant, self-managed, accessible and sustainable sport and active recreation system across the Northern Territory.
We will know if we are achieving our purpose and moving towards our vision if:
- we increase the number of Territorians participating in sport and active recreation; and
- Territorians achieve more national and international sporting success.
On a day-to-day basis we:
- provide grants to the industry to help build capacity;
- deliver development programs to the industry to help build capacity;
- deliver an Indigenous Sport Program targeted at remote communities;
- provide a state-of-the-art elite athlete development centre at the Northern Territory Institute of Sport;
- construct, maintain and manage key sporting facilities;
- procure and then deliver major national and international sporting events;
- deliver water safety programs, including administering the Swimming Pool Safety Act; and
- provide support and assistance to the racing industry in the Northern Territory.
Palmerston Water Park closed for repairs and maintenance
15 May 2013
The Department of Sport and Recreation advises that the Palmerston Water Park will be closed next week while repairs and maintenance are carried out.
Director of Venues and Events, Ms Meryl Gowing, said the Park would be closed from the 20th to the 24th of May, while contractors carry out scheduled maintenance.- Read More
Local Wheelchair Basketballer To Attend Rollers Camp - 13 February 2013
A top Territory wheelchair basketballer has been selected to attend a high level National Rollers camp at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra later this month. - View PDF(59.6 KB)
Top Territory Hockey Duo Selected for Youth Olympic Festival - 4 January 2013
Top Territory hockey duo Adam Luck and Brooke Peris have been selected to represent Australia at this month’s Australian Youth Olympic Festival in Sydney. - View PDF(59.6 KB)
Don’t Play in Pipes and Drains - 19 December 2012
The Territory Government in partnership with the City of Darwin and City of Palmerston has launched its annual Pipes and Drains campaign. - View PDF(36.3 KB)
2013 Northern Territory Sports Awards nominations now open- Read More
4 December 2012