Leanyer Recreation Park
Leanyer Recreation Park is a place to chill out, have fun and escape from the heat of the streets. Entrance is free.
|Wet Play area CLOSED 31 March - 4 April, for repairs to soft-fall matting. Expected to re-open 5 April.|
- a water park, including a swimming pool, children’s paddling pools and water playground facility;
- three waterslides , each 14 metres in height and over 100 metres in length (you must be at least 1.1 metres (110 cm) in height to ride the waterslides);
- an all-abilities playground;
- a skatepark;
- a basketball court with floodlights for evening games;
- a bitumen cycling path leading to surrounding suburbs;
- shaded gas barbeques and picnic areas; and
- the Leanyer Recreation Park Café.
Lifeguards are on duty during pool and water playground opening hours. Children under the age of 10 years must be supervised by parents or carers.
For more information see the Leanyer Recreation Park fact sheet (pdf 813Kb).
|Park||Slide||Lake/Wet Play||School/Public Holidays|
|Monday||9am to 8pm||CLOSED||CLOSED||11am to 6pm|
|Tuesday||9am to 8pm||CLOSED||CLOSED||11am to 6pm|
|Wednesday||9am to 8pm||2pm to 6pm||10am to 6pm||11am to 6pm|
|Thursday||9am to 8pm||2pm to 6pm||10am to 6pm||11am to 6pm|
|Friday||9am to 8pm||2pm to 6pm||10am to 6pm||11am to 6pm|
|Saturday||9am to 8pm||11am to 6pm||10am to 6pm||11am to 6pm|
|Sunday||9am to 8pm||11am to 6pm||10am to 6pm||11am to 6pm|
Leanyer Recreation Park will be CLOSED on Good Friday & Christmas Day
Leanyer Recreation Park Café
The café has capacity for 104 people, including 30 in an enclosed and air-conditioned area and the remainder in an alfresco seating area.
The commercial kitchen has the capacity to cater for functions of up to 300 people and includes a cold store and freezer room.
The Café provides catering for special events held at the Café and outside the venue.
Café opening hours: During the school period:
Wednesday to Friday 10am – 4pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 5pm
During school holidays:
Monday to Friday 10am – 4pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 5pm
How to get there
Leanyer Recreation Park is located approximately 15 km from Darwin City Centre on the boundaries of the suburbs of Leanyer, Malak and Wulagi. Access is off Vanderlin Drive. A bus stop is located close to the Park on Vanderlin Drive.
View Larger Map
Keep Watch @ Public Pool Policy
- Children (under 10 years) are not allowed entry unless under active supervision of a person 16 years or older.
- Parents and guardians should actively supervise their children at all times and be dressed ready to enter a pool. For 0–5 year olds and non-swimmers, a parent or guardian needs to be in the water at all times and within arms' reach of the child. It is best if you are engaging with your child i.e. playing with them, talking to them.
- Constant active supervision is required for children aged 6–10 years old. Parents and carers must be prepared to enter the water with this age group.
- For 11–14 year olds it is recommended that parents regularly check on their child by physically going to where they are in or around the water.
What is active supervision @ Public Pools?
Active supervision at public pools consists of four key elements:
1. Be Prepared: Ensure you have everything you need before getting into the water, such as towels and dry clothes.
2. Be Close: Always be within arms' reach of your child.
3. All of Your Attention: Focus all of your attention on your child and get into the pool and talk and play with them.
4. All of the Time: You should never leave your child alone in the water, nor should they be left in the care of an older child or with the assumption that your responsibility diminishes due to the presence of lifeguards.
Plants and animals
A variety of birds can be seen at the Park. Many species come in from the surrounding bushland seeking water. These species include Ibis, Burdekin Ducks, Native Doves and Plovers. Please respect all plants and animals.
Leanyer Recreation Park is managed by the YMCA. For further information or enquiries, contact the YMCA via:
- phone: 08 8927 4199
- email: email@example.com
To minimise crowding and ensure an enjoyable and safe visit, schools and other large groups must to book their visit two weeks in advance. The booking is free.
Please contact the YMCA to discuss your visit and make a booking, and visit the YMCA website for the facilities booking form.